June 10, 2011

The importance of research and planning

How did I get my puppy? Like many, I knew nothing about what to look for when adding a new canine member to the family. I just wanted a puppy that looks cute and is active. So At first, I visited PetSmart and Petco hoping to buy a puppy "off the shelf". Turns out they don't sell puppies, or kittens for that matter. Hmm, weird and disappointing! I then google searched "shiba inu puppy" and found several promising websites, including kijiji, pattyspups, and nextdaypets. To my disappointment again, I couldn't find any puppies near my area. As clueless as I was, thankfully I still firmly believed in meeting the puppy before making a payment unlike others who, for whatever reason, are fine with shipping. I was stumped. Not able to find a puppy, I went into the obsessive research phase. That's when I learned the shocking truths about puppy mills, backyard breeders, and pet shop puppies. I was deeply concerned. Even if one's indifferent to the moral aspect of such businesses, it would still be better to go with a reputable breeder's puppy because of the vet bills one may save in the long run. I highly recommend reading the wonderful posts in this blog if you need more convincing. Research has changed me from a clueless newb to an educated, informed buyer. Now I look back, I shudder at the thought that I almost got a puppy from nextdaypets had one been available nearby. A puppy from such sources could lead to a legion of behavioral, genetic, and social problems. So please research and avoid making the mistake that I almost ended up making.

No comments:

Post a Comment